Do you like how your mail is sorted in Outlook Express or Outlook?
Need to find a particular email from a certain person?
Want to have your mail sorted by date received with the most recent at the top?
The mail in any of your Inbox folders can be sorted any way your wish.
When you open Outlook Express or Outlook and have the Folders View enabled your emails will appear on the right side. Across the top of the right side are the labels for the columns (From, Subject, Received… Yours may have more or less columns, depending on how you have the Mail folders set up.)
Note: The order of your columns may differ from mine. I’m writing this tutorial with the default locations that Outlook Express and Outlook put them in.
Sort Mail by Who It Is From
- The From column should be the farthest left column in the right panel of the Mail folder (after the 4 small columns for mail symbols).
If you have mail in the folder you will see people’s names in the column. These names are the names of the people who have sent you email.
- If you left click the From column name the mail will be sorted by name alphabetically in decending order.
The Z’s will be at the top of the list and the A’s will be at the end of the list.
- To sort the mail by name in accending order, left click the From column name again.
Now the A’s are at the top of the list and the Z’s are at the bottom of the list.
Sorting email by the From column can be handy even if you have organzied your incoming mail into folders. You know the email you are looking for is in the XProject folder but you are looking for a particular email from the President of the company.
Using this technique of sorting mail by the From column will put all the email from the President together. Now you just have to look through those emails for the one you are looking for.
If you had an idea of when the email was sent, just look at the dates in the Received column.
I want to sort all the emails with the same Subject together! You can do this too.
Sort Email by Subject
The Subject column should be next to the From column in the right pane when in Folders view.
- Left click the Subject column label and the emails will be sorted in decending order.
The Re: portion of the subject is ignored and the emails are sorted with the last email on that subject first.
For multiple emails on the same date with the same Subject the last one received that date is at the top of the list.
- To sort by Subject in accending order, left click the Subject column label again.
The emails are now sorted in accending order with the A’s first and Z’s last.
Again, the dates are sorted in the order of last received first. If you have multiple emails with the same Subject on the same date the earliest one for that date is at the top of the list for that date.
You can also sort by date Received and your Account name.
Sort Mail by Date Received
- Left click the Received column label and the mail will be sorted in decending with the most recently received mail at the top of the list.
- Left click the Received column label again and the mail will be sorted in accending order with the most recently received mail at the top of the list.
Sort Mail by Account Name
- Left click the Account column label and the mail will be sorted by Account name in decending order.
- Left click the Account column label again and the mail will be sorted by Account name in decending order
Sorting mail by the column labels in Folder view is an easy way to find emails based on the From, Subject, Received and Account columns.
If you have other columns of information in view the same techniques explained here can be used on those column labels also. Experiment.
Microsoft Outlook Related Posts
- Organize Outlook Emails
- Create Email Signature Outlook
- Editing Account Name Properties Outlook Express-Outlook
- How to Create Email Account Outlook Express and Outlook
- Leave Copy of Email on Email Server