Sometimes when you pick up email with your email client (email software) you would like to be able to also pick it up from another computer but still be able to pick it up from your main computer.
During the day you work at your main location of your business (job). In the evenings and weekends or even on days when you wish to work from home you would like to check your email but still be able to download it to your main computer at work.
You could pick up the email at home then email it back to yourself at work. This is a hassle plus could get confusing if you forget to do it.
What you can do, which is easier and less confusing, is set up your home email client to leave a copy of the emails on the email server. This way, when you return to work, all the emails can be downloaded to your main computer at work.
This tutorial is written using Outlook Express or Outlook but the principles are the same for other email clients (email programs).
Set Up Email Client to Leave a Copy of Email on Email Server
We are going to set up your home (or mobile) computer to check your email and leave the original copy on the email server.
- Set up your email client for the email account you wish to check email for from your home computer (or mobile computer).
See Create Email Account Outlook Express-Outlook if you haven’t set up the email account yet on this machine.
- Left click the Tools menu item in the top menu bar.
The menu will expand to show more items.
- Left click the Accounts menu item in the list that has appeared.
The Internet Accounts screen will appear.
- Left click the email account name under the Account column you wish to set up to leave a copy of emails on the email server.
When selected, the Account name will be highlighted.
- Left click the Properties button on the right.
The email account’s Properties screen appears.
- Left click the Advanced tab at the top of the screen.
The Advanced settings for the Account appear.
- In the bottom section of the Advanced tab screen, under Delivery, there is a check box beside “Leave a copy of messages on server”.
Left click inside the check box.
Some more Advanced settings will now be available. You can make a decision about these settings now or later.
- Left click the Ok button at the bottom when you have finished.
Internet Accounts screen is visible again.
- Left click the Close button in the bottom right.
The Internet Accounts screen will close.
That’s it, you are done.
Now, when you pick up email from home or on the road with your laptop a copy of the emails will be left on the email server. On your return to the office you can pick up your email including the ones you already looked at while on the road.
Warning: Added June 15, 2006
If you are going to be away from your main computer for an extended amount of time or if someone sends you a very large file while you are away from the office, your mailbox on the server could become full and emails will start to bounce. It might be a better idea in this case to have your mobile computer pick up mail while you are away or have someone in the office pickup your mail to clean out the mailbox.
Tip provided by PCDOC.
Microsoft Outlook Related Posts
- Organize Outlook Emails
- Create Email Signature Outlook
- Sort Order of Mail Outlook Express-Outlook
- Editing Account Name Properties Outlook Express-Outlook
- How to Create Email Account Outlook Express and Outlook