When you set up an Outlook Express or Outlook email account the program, by default, uses the Incoming Mail Server information as the Account name. This isn’t very useful plus if you have a number of email accounts at the same email account provider it can be confusing.
In this tutorial we will look at the Email Account Name Properties of the email accounts you have set up in Outlook Express (Outlook).
Edit Email Account Name Outlook Express (Outlook)
By default, Outlook Express and Outlook use the Incoming Mail Server information as the account name when you add an email account. This isn’t very useful as when you are a beginner computer user you might not remember which email account this is. You may have set up different email accounts for your family members at the same ISP (Internet Service Provider).
If you have a website it is quite possible you have a number of email accounts set up for different purposes.
How are you going to know which account is which?
It is possible to change the Account name for your email accounts in Outlook Express (Outlook).
- Open the Internet Accounts sceen if it is not already open.
Left click the Tools menu item at the top of the screen, left click the Accounts menu item if this screen is not already open.
- Select the email account you wish to edit by left clicking it in the list of accounts.
Use the scroll bar if it is not visible.
- Left click the Properties button on the right once you have selected the account you wish to edit.
The account’s Properties window opens.
- Left click the General tab if it is not already selected.
The General tab shows the Mail Account and User Information
- Under the Mail Account section there is a text box with the Account Name that Outlook Express (Outlook) is using for this account.
Change the name to something more meaningful to you. e.g. Info-My Website if it’s an account for your website or a family name if it’s for one of your family members.
- Left click the Ok button at the bottom of the screen once you have entered the new Account name you want Outlook Express (Outlook) to use.
Internet Accounts screen reappears.
Left click the Close button at the bottom right of the screen if you are finished.
The Internet Accounts screen disappears.
Now your email Account name is meaningful to you.
The same methods above can be used to rename your News and Directory accounts (just left click the appropriate tab in the Internet Accounts screen.)
Microsoft Outlook Related Posts
- Organize Outlook Emails
- Create Email Signature Outlook
- Sort Order of Mail Outlook Express-Outlook
- How to Create Email Account Outlook Express and Outlook
- Leave Copy of Email on Email Server