Outlook Express and Outlook can be setup to pickup the mail from your different email accounts including your web based accounts (if permitted by the web based mail provider).
To set up Outlook Express and Outlook to pick up email from your different email accounts you use the Tools menu item at the top of the window.
What You Need to Set Up an Email Account in Outlook Express or Outlook
To create an Email Account in Outlook Express or Outlook you will need:
- Your account login information
- Your account name.
- Your password.
- Incoming Mail Server Information
Your web based email account, ISP (Internet Service Provider) or web hosting company provides this.
- Outgoing Mail Server Information
As with the Incoming Mail Server information, your web based email account, ISP or web hosting company provides this.
Note: Your ISP may not allow you to send email for another account from your location. Have your ISP Outgoing Mail Server information handy, you may need it.
Create Email Account
- Open Outlook Express (Outlook).
- Left click Tools in the top menu bar.
The menu will expand.
- Left click Accounts from the menu that becomes exposed.
Internet Accounts dialog box will appear.
- Left click the Mail tab.
Switches to the list of Mail accunts you have set up.
- Left click the Add button on the right.
Menu is exposed with list of options.
- Left click the Mail option for the list of options.
Internet Connection Wizard screen appears.
Fill in Account Details
- The first screen of the Internet Connection Wizard is the Your Name screen.
Insert the name you wish to appear in the From portion of the email.
This name will appear in the From of the email and in the From column when emails are viewed in Outlook Express (Outlook).
You can have your name and your company name if you wish. e.g. My Name, My Company Name.
- Left click the Next button when you are finished.
Internet Email Address screen appears in the Internet Connection Wizard.
- In the Internet Email Address screen of the Internet Connection Wizard is where you enter the email address you are adding to your Accounts list.
Enter the email address you are setting up. You need to enter the complete email address. e.g. email@example.com
- Left click the Next button when you are finished.
Email Server Names screen of the Internet Connection Wizard appears.
- The top dropdown menu is the type of email account. The default is POP3 which is usually the type of email account you would have.
If your email address uses a different type of incoming email server, select the type from the dropdown list.
- Next is the Incoming Mail Server text box.
Your ISP, web based mail account or web hosting company would provide this information. This is the email server that receives your incoming mail. It might look something like this:
Enter the Incoming Mail Server information you were given.
- Outgoing Mail Server is the email server used to send your email.
Even though your web hosting company provided the Outgoing Mail Server information for your website your ISP (Internet Service Provider) may not allow you to use this server.
Some ISP’s have set up their system to force you to go through their email servers when sending email. This is their attempt to catch spammers using their servers to send spam.
At this point you have a choice. You can either use the Outgoing Mail Server information your web based mail or web hosting company gave you and see if it works or use the Outgoing Mail Server information your ISP gave you.
If you use the information provided by the web based mail or your web hosting company and it doesn’t work you can always go back into your Account setup and change it later to the ISP Outgoing Mail Server information.
Enter the Outgoing Mail Server information you chose to use. It should look something like this:
- Left click the Next button to continue.
Internet Mail Logon screen of the Internet Connection Wizard appears.
- The Internet Mail Logon screen is where you enter your email account information.
Your web based mail or web hosting company will have provided the information you are to enter as your logon information.
Enter the account name information you were given.
Enter the account password you were given to use.
If you leave Remember password checked then you will not be asked for the account password when you pickup your email.
- Left click the Next button when finished.
Congratulations screen of the Internet Connection Wizard appears.
- You are finished!
Left click the Finish button at the bottom of the screen to complete the Email Account setup process.
Internet Connection Wizard closes and the Internet Accounts screen is visible.
The email account you just added will be in the list accounts and it will be highlighted in grey. Use the scroll bar to move down the list if you have a number of accounts already setup and can’t see this.
The default of Outlook Express (Outlook) is to insert the Incoming Mail Server information as the Account name.
If you have one email account at the email provider the default account name of the Incoming Mail Server might be ok for you. If you have a number of email accounts at the same email provider (e.g. Your company website has different email accounts for different purposes/people) then this default Account name isn’t going to be very useful for you.
Microsoft Outlook Related Posts
- Organize Outlook Emails
- Create Email Signature Outlook
- Sort Order of Mail Outlook Express-Outlook
- Editing Account Name Properties Outlook Express-Outlook
- Leave Copy of Email on Email Server